Behind the Dough: An Insider's Look at Hideaway Pizza
In the world of pizza, few names have stood the test of time as well as Hideaway Pizza. Founded in 1957 near the Oklahoma State University campus in Stillwater, Oklahoma, Hideaway Pizza has grown from a local favorite to a regional powerhouse in the pizza industry. In a recent episode of the Brews & Business Podcast, we had the pleasure of interviewing Hideaway Pizza’s President, Tim Anderson, to learn more about the company’s history, operations, and the unique strategies that have contributed to its enduring success.
The story of Hideaway Pizza began in 1957 when Richard “The Big Kahuna” Dermer and his wife, Marti, created a casual dining concept that would soon become a beloved institution in Stillwater, Oklahoma. Built on the premise that happy employees equal happy guests, Hideaway Pizza quickly gained a loyal fan base and a reputation for serving high-quality, delicious pizza. According to Tim, the company’s commitment to its employees, customers, and community is what has allowed it to thrive and expand over the years.
Hideaway Pizza’s success in Stillwater laid the groundwork for expansion into new markets. In 2016, the company opened its first location in Arkansas, followed by two more in the state. Tim shared that the company plans to open additional locations in the coming years. However, despite its growth, Hideaway Pizza remains dedicated to preserving its core values and commitment to its customers and communities.
When asked about the key factors that set Hideaway Pizza apart from the competition, Tim was quick to point out the importance of using high-quality ingredients and developing unique recipes. He explained that the company takes great care in sourcing the best ingredients and refining its recipes to ensure that its pizzas are not only delicious but also consistent across all locations. In addition to its commitment to quality, Hideaway Pizza also places a strong emphasis on providing exceptional customer service. Tim believes that these elements have played a significant role in the company’s ability to cultivate a loyal and devoted fan base.
Over the years, Hideaway Pizza has had to adapt to numerous changes and shifts in the food industry. One such change has been the growing importance of technology, including online ordering, delivery services, and social media marketing. Tim discussed how the company has embraced these new technologies and leveraged them to enhance the customer experience, streamline operations, and reach new customers. He also highlighted the importance of staying up-to-date with industry trends and continually learning and adapting to meet the evolving needs and preferences of customers.
Building a Loyal Fan Base: Strategies and Practices
Customer loyalty is crucial to the success of any business, and Hideaway Pizza is no exception. Tim discussed the strategies and practices that have proven most effective in building and maintaining a loyal fan base for the company. These include consistently delivering exceptional products and service, engaging with customers through social media, and creating a welcoming, inclusive atmosphere in its restaurants. By focusing on these areas, Hideaway Pizza has been able to cultivate a devoted following that continues to grow and support the company.
As the President of a successful pizza chain with a long-standing history, Tim has a wealth of knowledge and experience to share with aspiring entrepreneurs and business owners. When asked for his advice on creating a successful and enduring brand in the highly competitive food industry, Tim offered the following insights:
- Focus on quality: Tim emphasized the importance of consistently delivering high-quality products and services. By setting high standards and maintaining them, businesses can set themselves apart from the competition and build a strong reputation.
- Invest in your employees: Happy employees are more likely to provide excellent service and create a positive experience for customers. Tim encouraged business owners to prioritize employee satisfaction, training, and development.
- Engage with your community: Tim highlighted the significance of building strong relationships with the communities your business serves. By giving back and getting involved in local initiatives, businesses can create goodwill and foster a loyal customer base.
- Stay adaptable: In a rapidly changing industry, it’s crucial for businesses to be open to change and prepared to adapt. Tim urged entrepreneurs to stay informed about industry trends, embrace new technologies, and continually look for ways to improve their business.
- Build a strong brand identity: A clear, consistent, and compelling brand identity can help businesses stand out from the competition and attract customers. Tim advised business owners to invest in developing a strong brand and to be consistent in their messaging and positioning.